Adulting. We Are Just Children Inside

Whenever I’ve been asked how to adult. I have only one answer…’food goes in here’ *points at my mouth*.

“We are all just children inside.”

This is something my Dad said to me a long time ago.*Waves* Hi Dad. See, I do pay attention!

I was leaning on the train carriage wall the other day and was reading a post by the story addict called what is love. There she mentions that she’s just winging being an adult and questions if she really is one.

Her post sparked neurons in my memory bank and emotions that reflected her words. Adulting is such a strange term that we throw around a lot. I don’t think it existed in my parents generation… Did it Dad? (if you’re still reading this lol).

The Oxford dictionary defines adulting as: “The practice of behaving in a way characteristic of a responsible adult, especially the accomplishment of mundane but necessary tasks.”

So, here are times I thought to myself, good job on the adulting today.

Oh wow, you washed all those dirty dishes. Good job on adulting.

Oh crap, the freezer door won’t close, what do I do? *Grabs hair dryer and melts ice that was preventing the door from closing*. Good job on adulting! And you didn’t even cry!

Getting rid of a spider all by yourself? WOAH, YOU ARE KILLING THIS ADULTING GAME! Gold star! (p.s. I have pretty intense arachnophobia so this is a real win for me.)

Cooking food is also very adult like.

Going back to what my dad a said…

“We are all just children inside.”

I can’t decide if this comforting or terrifying.

If you ask me today, when I have no important decisions to make – it’s comforting, because at least everybody else has the same feelings of winging life.

If you ask me the same question when I have critical life changing decisions and need advice – terrifying, because ‘we are all just children’ means none of us can be trusted. I akin this to trusting an 8 year old with important adult life choices. Madness! This is all just hypothetical, of course, I’ve never had serious inner turmoil decisions to make. (My life is too boring.)

As I go forth in life, I will (from time to time) picture the fellow adult humans around me as a bunch of toddlers wandering around thinking ‘Is this how I life? I think this right? Meh, who knows, who cares.’

14 Comments Add yours

1. pamicdolls says:

I do agree that somehow we are just children inside our body :)πŸ˜πŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ˜›

Liked by 2 people

2. I’m impressed by the spider conquest. That’s definitely one of the hardest 😝

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you for reading :). I do have a question, I’m not sure what spider conquest means?

Liked by 1 person

1. You said you were proud of yourself to have killed the spider! By conquest I just mean it’s a big battle that you won haha they are scary!

Liked by 1 person

1. Oohhhh! I thought it was some term that I was unfamiliar with! Sorry, my brain is definitely somewhere else right now. Thank you for acknowledging that I got rid of the spider, it really is a conquest :). They really are terrifying, they’re just so… Leggy

Liked by 2 people

3. Sometimes (most of the time) I still feel like the awkward 13 year old boy.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you for reading! Yes so true. Whenever I go visit my parents I turn back into a child hahaha

Liked by 1 person

4. Kai Lah says:

I find this amusingly a light read. And I agree with you! I am 31 and will have a child soon, and no matter how adult and matured I may look and act, I always have my episodes of β€œchild mode and tantrums”

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you for reading πŸ™‚ :). I’m so happy that you can relate. Congratulations!! May I ask when your baby is due?

Liked by 1 person

1. Kai Lah says:

You’re welcome! 😊

My baby boy is due on March 30th. We’re so excited! 😍

Liked by 1 person

5. Paolo B. says:

Food goes here. haha love that. Adulting is hard and I think we are all just trying to get by, and yes all just children at the end of the day. Scary yes, but comforting too. Good read, thanks!

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment!! πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

6. Mighty Jo says:

Food goes in here. Great line! It made me laugh πŸ˜‰

Liked by 2 people