Forever A Typo

Hello good people of the Internet,

I go by aliases, non of whom are aliases of my choosing.

What am I talking about?

Well I’m talking about my misspelt name or a name that my peers assign to me.

My name – Carol

Here are the aliases bestowed upon me.
Carole, Caroline, Claire, Coral

Let me explain by saying that I don’t get offended, it has happened so often that I’m used to it, sometimes it’s just a mistake and other times it’s a ‘what the hell man‘. None more so than if we’ve actually known each other a while.

During my undergraduate degree, a classmate of mine called me Caroline for 3 years (3 YEARS!) and each time I would correct him, my name is Carol not Caroline. And yet, I was still Caroline.

In my mind this is equivalent of the following

Hi my name is Paul,
Hello, nice to meet you Pauline.

Just how? Yes I know the example I gave are two different gender names, but you see the point.

An event that inspired this post occurred recently. A colleague of mine has been repeatedly spelling my name as ‘Carole’ in emails even though my email address clearly shows my name written without the ‘e’.

I’m the bright side, I’ve been reading it as Carol-lay which makes me feel very cool :).

HOWEVER, the one that I have never understood is Claire. This does not even remotely sound like Carol. I have been called Claire by multiple different people at different times throughout my life, so hey, maybe I just look like a Claire?

Here I am, accepting my fate. I am forever a ‘typo’, forever an alias not of my choosing.

So, how about you? Please tell me your stories about your typoed name and/or given aliases. I would love to hear them.

18 Comments Add yours

1. “Coral” is a funny typo for “Carol” haha.
    I once tutored a Chinese student who chose the English name “Baker” (which is my last name) as his first name. I pointed out that it was a funny coincidence, but that made him think my first name was also “Baker.” So whenever he emailed me, he’d start with “Dear Baker,” even though I’d always sign the emails as “Kylie.” This went on for a few months before I got the chance to tell him that no one but him actually calls me “Baker.” It felt very Draco Malfoy like when he calls Harry “Potter” to his face. Side note — is that a thing people actually do in the UK, or is that just a Harry Potter movie thing?

Liked by 1 person

1. Your story is like one of things you only hear about but never experience lol. In my 11 years in the UK, i have never really noticed the surname calling to be a thing. Everyone just goes by first names. Though, surname calling can happen around boy adolescents – or so I’ve been told

2. Briana says:

My name is Briana and in work emails people always add another n. Or some people drop the a and make it Brian. πŸ€·πŸΎβ€β™€οΈ

Liked by 1 person

1. That’s amazing :D. Nice to meet you Briana!

P. S. My phone tried to autocorrect your name to Brian.

3. Great post Caron!

I have an unusual surname for which since the days I first started school i’ve heard so many mispronunciations. I find it funny watching/listening people crumble as they attempt it. Ironically, it’s really not that hard to pronounce.

Liked by 1 person

1. Haha nice! I’ll add Caron to my list :).

That must be very entertaining watching people crumble trying to pronounce your name. Did anyone ever call you Mr [first letter of your surname]?

Liked by 1 person

1. Actually yes they do. ‘Mr O’ in the offline world.

4. Paolo B. says:

I’m kind of surprised your name is mistaken for a lot of things. Carol seems pretty safe πŸ™‚ My name is pronounced Pow-lo but I always get Paul-lo. Or Pablo. It’s been pretty bad that I just go by Paul when I give my name to restaurants or reservations and stuff. Oh they joys haha. Glad it’s not just me, good read Claire! Oops I mean Carol πŸ˜›

5. Lani says:

OMG. Hahaha. This reminds me of Starbucks trying to get your name right. My name’s Hawaiian, and you’d think in Hawaii, of all places, they’d get it right. But NOOOOO. ‘Twas flabbergasted, I was.

I found you through Katie Kuo, and I must say this post made me think of the one I wrote about my name: https://lanivcox.com/2014/08/14/how-has-your-name-impacted-you/

Even if you don’t have time, you must read the very short story I put in the front.You’ll forever love your name. Hahahhaa πŸ˜‰

But yeah, I’m with Paolo; I’d think Carol would be a pretty safe name.Guess not!

P.S. I love that you are posing near the boat “Wild Thing” πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you!!!! Yes, you’d think Carol was a pretty safe name to get right.

Yes I will have to go check out your post now :).

I have made it my life mission to take a picture with anything that says Wild.

1. Lani says:

Hahahaha. Awesome. Well then, I’m assuming you read the book Wild? πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

1. No!!?? Not actually heard of it. But I can go find it, and take a picture with it :p

1. Lani says:

Hahahha. It’s a great book and movie. The book is by Cheryl Strayed.

Okay…I’ll wait. *drums fingers*

πŸ˜€

Liked by 1 person

6. Loved reading this lol l get Debbie, Debby,Debbi, Debra and Deborah, oh and Debs (…my last name starts with S) and of course Deb 😁
    But l guess with mine they actually all are the same name lol
    I did once get Deboro πŸ™„ but it’s always had the D E B
    I actually like the Debs name now lol don’t know why πŸ€”

Liked by 1 person

1. Amazing, I love how we all pretty much experience this. Also, Deboro reminds me of Zoro πŸ™‚

7. Ella Ames says:

Ahahaha too funny! I did an exchange year in Italy in high school, and of course thought my full name of Danielle would romantically get turned into Daniella… go figure with the Italian accent it just became Daniel πŸ™„

Liked by 1 person

1. Amazing. That’s really cool that your school had a year’s exchange. How old were you at the time? And how did you find your experience?

1. Ella Ames says:

I was 16- it was through AFS. It was such a great program. It was a hard year, but an incredible one!